Leadership Academy brings together Disciples from throughout the United States and Canada every year to share leadership experiences, wisdom, and training.
This interactive learning experience features two track sessions:
- the Start Track, which is designed to empower leaders whose church/projects have not yet launched, and
- the Sustain Track, which is geared to empower leaders whose projects have recently launched and leaders of congregations newly affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Leadership Academy also features DOCTalks, joint sessions that address missional transformation inclusive of every stage of leadership and congregational vitality, and LEADLabs, interactive, practical trainings designed to help leaders imagine, ideate, innovate, and implement missional concepts. Past workshop topics included:
- Team Development and Empowerment
- Personal/Clergy Financial Practices
- Inspiring Generosity and Fundraising
- Congregational Budgeting and Bookkeeping
- 20 Top Pre-Launch Steps
- Understanding Your Leadership Style Using DiSC
- Brand Building
- Church Law and Compliance
This year’s event will be held online from Monday, September 28 to Friday, October 2, 2020. Our featured speakers include:
Rev. Teresa “Terri” Hord Owens, General Minister and President of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Rev. Hord Owens was elected as General Minister and President on July 9, 2017. A Disciple since young adulthood, she previously served as dean of students at the University of Chicago Divinity School and pastor of First Christian Church of Downers Grove, IL. Terri is widely sought after as a preacher, speaker and workshop facilitator. Her ministry and intellectual interests include cultural intelligence, and developing inclusive and multicultural congregations.
Rev. Lorenzo Lebrija is the Founding Director of TryTank, an experimental laboratory for church growth and innovation. He is responsible for the entire process of development and implementation of experiments in innovation for the church. Fr. Lorenzo frequently speaks to groups on the topics of development, community involvement, the arts, business strategy and marketing.
Registration is now open!